Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fireworks and Dodging Cars

A few days ago I was just sitting in the living room with my host brother, and out of nowhere I heard something that sounded like cannons being shot. So of course I had to inquire. I asked my host brother if he knew what the sound was, and he just turned to me and said, “Hmm… maybe fireworks?” I opened the curtain and BAM. No more than three feet away from the side of an apartment building, people were launching off fireworks. I asked my host brother what the reason was and he just said, “Maybe it’s their birthday or maybe they are just happy.” He then continued to casually read the book in his lap.

Since my last post I have been fed very much (of course). I’ve tried zhajiang mian, lamb dumplings, and Beijing duck, which was fantastic. Three days ago we went out for Korean barbecue, and I saw another foreigner on the street. I could not stop staring.

I’ve also become an expert at crossing the street. I enjoy crossing the street now. I’ve renamed it “Dodging Cars”. I have also successfully taken the bus to my Chinese classes alone.

Today was the last day of my language class. I previously forgot to mention that my class was at Tianjin Foreign Studies University. Tomorrow is my first day of school. I will get to and from school by bicycle. The first day is a half-day, so I might go out to lunch with my host brother’s classmates after!

On a completely different note, the mosquitoes in Tianjin are deadly. Never come here. You will die.

No comments:

Post a Comment